Monday, April 7, 2008

Tales of Friendship

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
and the other gold!


Do you remember that song? Whenever I hear those words it brings back memories of me being a Brownie Scout in elementary school. That was the whole purpose of that club, to make friends. The extra perk of course was getting to wear that cute brown dress and beanie hat to school!


Making friends was easy in school, you had the kids who lived on your street, the kids who were in your class and kids who were out on the playground. It was an ocean of prospective friends. But is seems as we get older the chances for friendships dwindle. Life is moving to fast, you have work and you have kids and you have husbands and homes. Where is the opportunity for making friends?


Well the other day I got a surprise. I had just sent out my newsletter, and I got an email from a lady, Julie, who had read it. She told me she had gone to my blog and enjoyed reading it. She also started telling me about herself. We struck up an email conversation on that Easter weekend and I have made a new friend! The wonderful thing about friendship is that you find that you have something in common with that person and you form a bond. We both have husbands of over 24 years, both have 3 grown sons, both like to craft and be creative, the only difference is that she lives in northern Maine and I live in southern Texas. Like Walt Disney said,"It's a small world after all."

In my life I have been blessed with some wonderful friends. My Best Girl Friend is my sister, Nanette. She is there through thick and thin, and loves me worts and all. I have wanted to kill her many times during our lives, but I am glad that I didn't. My husband and I made friends with 7 couples when our sons were in kindergarten and that was 16 years ago. The amazing thing is that in that 16 years all our lives have changed but one constant is our friendship. We have been getting together for food, drinks and fun every other month for those 16 years and we still have a blast together. So I count all these friends as one of my many blessings.


So take time for making friends, slow down and connect to the people around you. Friends are there for support and fun and all the things in between. And who knows, when you look around you could find a new friend in your email box!
 
09 10